Easy LEGO storage solution

My 8 year old loves LEGO, but I can't stand having it cover every surface of my house. So, I came up with a way to organize our LEGO in a way that works with the way my son plays with it. Today I am sharing the simple ways we organize LEGO in our house.


My son loves little LEGO kits. He builds them multiple times, and he plays with them once they are together. He zooms around the house with his Star Wars ships, and he uses his imagination to act out scenes with his mini-figures. 

In order to keep his kits organized and accessible, I use a clear shoe rack on the back of his bedroom door. I throw out the boxes, and we put all the pieces and building instructions into large Ziploc bags. Then, we store each kit in its own pocket. Everything is organized (and off the floor), and my son can find all his kits easily.


All the other LEGO goes in bins in our playroom. He can easily pull it out when he is playing with it, and scoop it up into the bin when he goes to bed at night.


We also have some loose pieces and mini-figures in bins in his room. The top bins are open, so he can place his "works in progress" here at the end of the day.


I've seen many fantastic LEGO desks on Pinterest, but we just don't have the space for that in our home. I think our system works well for us, the way my son plays with LEGO, and our limited space. How do you manage all the LEGO in your house?


Gina Bell (aka East Coast Mommy)

5 comments:

  1. The clear shoe rack storage idea is wonderful if you have a lot of kits, otherwise I think organizing by colour and size seems like the way to go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. I think the key is to organize it the way the child plays with it. :-)

      Delete
  2. I love this idea! We are amassing quite a large number of small kits, so this will help immensely with keeping all of those parts together. I've pinned this, and am sharing it on my Facebook page!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LEGO is not just for kids, it's for adults too! Although I’m sure the adults are the ones who are more particular about the storage solution! Haha!

    ReplyDelete

Don't miss any of the fun....